Earlier this summer I bought two vintage train posters for Michael's room from Cafe Press.
I really wasn't sure how I would hang the posters when I bought them. For the sake of ease, and because they weren't very expensive, I bought poster frames from Target for $10 each, hung them up, and tolerantly hated them for a few days. The plexiglass reflected light in a weird, warpy way, and it just didn't look good.
My next try was just hanging the posters right on the walls. This is a boy's bedroom after all. Posters stuck on the walls are kind of classic, right? Since I didn't want those oily, bumpy corners that sticky-tack left on the posters in my teenage bedroom I tried out mounting squares.
The posters looked nice but still appeared unfinished on the walls without frames of any kind.
Ultimately, I requested that Mike cut some trim to make frames around the posters. We picked out and bought some $.89 trim from Home Depot, Mike cut it into pieces with mitered corners, and I spray painted them dark gray to match the new curtains (more on those in a future post).
For some help with cutting miters, here's a handy video from This Old House.
At first I hung the frame pieces using the same mounting squares (cut in half) to save on holes in the walls. That worked great on most pieces, but the trim was a tad warped and some sides would not lie flat against the wall without nails. If you are sure to buy trim that is good and flat, mounting strips would probably work. Since we did not, Mike used an air powered nailer to finish off the project.
The end result is very pleasing to me. I love the delicate, architectural quality of the frames, the way they coordinate with the propeller over the dresser and the new curtains, and how they have a similar look as the gear wall.
The poster frames we made from $.89 trim make me think this room is nearing completion!